You are here:

Staff & Licensing


In just about every case you will be taking the business on as a going concern. Staff already employed at the house have a right to transfer with the business on their existing terms and conditions.
Altering hours, holiday entitlement, rates of pay etc can in the long term be extremely costly and we would advise you to seek good advice before you make any changes. There are circumstances under which you can make alterations but we advise you strongly to speak to your solicitor or alternatively the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Obtain existing staff rota and all personnel records of existing staff
This will be part of the open book accountancy package you will be asked to take up on appointment to your house. You will be shown what information you will need to supply him with including rates of pay during the finance course you have to attend.
Complete your own staff rota
You may be bringing staff with you and/or you and your partner may expect to work. You will have forecast staff hours and costs in your business plan. You may find initially that your staff rota is top heavy if you inherit a lot of staff. Again, you will need to take professional advice as how to deal with this.
Ascertain staff training records
Have they undergone any formal training? What experience do they have?
Recruit staff
If this is necessary then you will need to start this process at least four weeks prior to the day of change. This may need to be even earlier if your require specialist chefs or cooks.
Provide employment contracts
You are legally obliged to provide all staff with an employment contract. These are fairly standard and can be obtained from a business stationery supplier or alternatively from the BII.


Licensing is probably the most important part of setting up a pub business. Forgetting to apply for a personal licence could and almost certainly will result in you not being able to serve alcohol on the premises.

Premises Licence
At Fuller’s we hold all the Premises Licences in the Company name so you need not worry about whether your new pub holds a premises licence. Ask the business development manager to go through the granted licensing hours for the house and provide you with a copy of the existing premises licence together with any conditions placed on it.

Personal Licence
The Licensing Act 2003 states that anyone authorising the sale of alcohol must hold a personal licence. In order to qualify for a personal licence, an applicant must hold a relevant licensing qualification. The BIIAB APLH ( Award for Personal Licence Holders) is a nationally recognised qualification designed for anyone authorising the sale of alcohol in licensed premises.

We regularly hold courses at Fuller's and also have a list of alternative venues where you can sit the course. The course lasts one day and includes a short multiple choice examination comprising 40 questions.

We recommend you try to have a minimum of two personal licence holders on the premises in case of emergencies or prolonged time away from the business should it ever occur.

Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)
When a property holds a premises licence for the sale of alcohol, a nominated person authorising these sales must be in place. This is called the Designated Premises Supervisor and while there can be many personal licence holders there can only be one DPS. The DPS will give permission to all staff members on his/her premises to sell alcohol.

The DPS will also be the main point of contact for all authorities and authorising bodies such as the police, fire, council officers etc.

We insist that all applications to become or change the DPS are made through our Licensing Solicitors Poppleston Allen. The reason for this is that we are the holders of the premises licence and they are controlled in their entirety at Poppleston Allen.

Poppleston Allen
The address and phone number for Poppleston Allen is as follows :-

Poppleston Allen Licensing Solicitors
37 Stoney Street
The Lace Market
Tel 0115 948700

The contact for licensing at Fuller’s is Sara Keogh who can be contacted on 020 8996 2096.

This page was printed from the website of Fuller, Smith & Turner P.L.C at